Sunday, August 28, 2005

Refreshing!

As a long-time TV and computer-monitor repairman, I usually notice computer screens as I move through my world. One of the things that bugs me quite a bit is that most computer users have their monitor's vertical-refresh rate set at the default value of 60 Hz. This flickers like crazy to my trained eye (obedience school was tough!) and can lead to eyestrain and headaches for the users--but they will probably never even know the cause.

Under Windows, this is easily fixed with a free utility, MultiRes--in fact, it's one of the utilities that I always install on any Windows machine I work on, either my own or one I'm fixing or upgrading. It's also useful for changing screen resolution on-the-fly, as well. This can be especially useful for certain games or graphics applications.

During installation I specify Load with Windows--from then on it "lives" in the Windows System Tray in the lower-right corner of the screen. Either a right-click or left-click over the icon with the mouse will bring up a list of the available screen resolutions. The vertical-refresh rate can be specified for each resolution setting--the system will remember the configuration the next time you go to that resolution.

Try it, I think you will like it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home